Minnesota Senate Passes the PRO Act
Protect Reproductive Options (PRO) Act represents a vital first step toward fulfilling the promise of reproductive freedom for Minnesotans and people across the US seeking safe and legal abortion care
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
January 28, 2023
Erin Hart, Communications Director
Saint Paul, Minn.—Today, the Minnesota Legislature passed the Protect Reproductive Options (PRO) Act, supporting and defending people’s right to make and act on the full spectrum of decisions available to them regarding their pregnancies and their reproductive health care without government interference
“This is a crucial first step in establishing rock-solid protections for everyone in Minnesota to make their own decisions about their reproductive destiny,” said Abena Abraham, campaign director for UnRestrict Minnesota.
“Our legislators must now move swiftly to repeal the unconstitutional and unjust anti-abortion laws that remain on the books in Minnesota, and to protect Minnesotans against legal attacks by anti-abortion extremists in other states.
“Today we have set the cornerstone for the important work that still must be done to truly fulfill the promise of reproductive freedom in our state.”
Introduced as SF1, the PRO Act enshrines the right of every individual in Minnesota to choose to continue a pregnancy and give birth to a child, or to choose to obtain an abortion — and would also protect every individual’s fundamental rights to make and act on their own decisions about whether and when to seek or refuse reproductive health care, and to choose or refuse contraception and seeking sterilization.
Three additional bills have been introduced this legislative session to strengthen abortion rights and expand abortion access, including:
- The Reproductive Freedom Codification Act HF91/SF70, removing from Minnesota’s legislative code a lengthy list of restrictions on abortion rights and access, many of which have been ruled unconstitutional by Minnesota state court.
- The Reproductive Freedom Defense Act HF366/SF165, designed to protect Minnesota citizens, reproductive health care providers, and people who come to Minnesota seeking abortion care against legal attacks and criminal penalties imposed by anti-abortion activists and politicians from other states.
- The Positive Pregnancies Support Act HF289/SF336, expanding the resources, information, and support available to pregnant people through state-funded programs and ending the harm caused by state funding of anti-abortion centers and deceptive practices aimed at imposing an anti-abortion agenda.
The Pro Act was passed in the House and is on its way to the Governor’s desk.
All of these measures enjoy broad support among Minnesota voters.
Polling commissioned by UnRestrict Minnesota and conducted by PerryUndem in December 2022 showed that:
- 89% of Minnesota voters want to know what their state elected officials are doing on the topic of abortion — and want to see their legislators take action.
- Almost two-thirds of voters want laws that support rights and access to abortion, and 68% support repealing laws that restrict access to abortion.
- 67% say they want everyone in the state to have equal access to abortion, regardless of their location or financial status, and 66% support Medicaid coverage for abortion care.
“The people of Minnesota have made clear that they want the rights enshrined in the PRO Act made real through equal access to abortion and the full range of reproductive health care for all,” said Abraham. “We will continue to celebrate, support, and encourage our lawmakers as they continue the march they have started today toward genuine and lasting reproductive freedom in Minnesota.”